Under Costruction.....

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Just like life building (rebuilding) a blog is a journey.... please stick with us as we make this blog better. Thanks y'all!

Monday, August 9, 2010

Chili Rellenos and Red Sauce

I have a confession.....

I almost  quit blogging...

...for real....

Between cleaning and cooking and shepherding my little dumplings....

I have found......{{gasp}}...that I cannot do it all....

and though I love blogging, I love a happy husband more....

and having a happy husband makes me happy....

and life is good! (Just thought I would share a totally unrelated photo to this post, BUT a taste of my little nestlings messy habits!

So I was ready to write a  farewell until I could nudge a few more of my nestlings out from my wings.

But alass...after I make my little chillins slave for me... I may make them dinner. And because I am craving these I will the yummiest of yummy chili rellenos tonight. They are by far my favorite mexican meal, so I have found several recipes and merged them to make a meal that compares the best of a five star restaurant quality, because as you know with any mexican meal...it is a hit or miss.. You love it or you don't.  You have dreams or you are living a nightmare in the middle of the night on the bathroom floor (been there, done that!)  So I hope that you will try them.....and enjoy them and realize that having a good meal does not mean going to a restaurant and payin an arm and a leg, cuz after all...you don't know if they peed in your refried beans!! (Yes I think about that kind of stuff when I eat out......)

CHILI RELLENOS

12 Whole green chilis ( fresh or in the can)  if you use fresh...which are always delish you will need to char the chilis over an open flame And then put them in a brown bag to sweat, then pull the skin off and remove the seeds and membranes.
1/2 pound of cheese (monterey jack and cheddar is a good combination)
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp cilantro
salt and pepper
4 eggs separated and warmed to room tempature
2 tbsp flour
Frying oil

After chilis are prepared, and honestly, canned are easy and just as good, mix shredded cheese, garlic, salt and pepper and cilantro and carefully stuff in peppers, making sure to get some in the tip...the more cheese the better!!! is my motto! Secure with tooth picks if they split or need extra support.

Sit on a cookie sheet and place in fridge for an hour to set and hold their shape.  Turn your oil on now to start to get hot, you want it VERY hot when you drop these little babies in!) Just before yolks and flour until they are smooth, fold into egg whites.  Dip chilis into egg whites and make sure that the chilis are covered completely.

Side note, I leave my tooth picks in when I fry them...just remind your eaters that they are in there!! or remove them before you serve them.  Depending on how hot your oil is...it should be less then 1 minute per side, they will be light and crispy and golden!

RED SAUCE
1 can of tomatoes with green chilies
1 can of whole tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 can V-8
1/2 package taco or burrito seasoning

smooth in a blender and heat on stove.Once heated, pour over chili rellenos just before you serve them!  My kids love this read sauce for their chips too!

Top with a dollop of sour cream and whalla!!!!  Total time, probably 30 minutes!!! for everything!!

I serve with refried beans and mexican rice. YUMMY!

If you don't love these because I didn't have time to take photos! Call me and I will make them for you to convince you.....after all I love company...and good food......

Now...I am really quitting...at least for the night...and maybe for the week....the whites need folding!

Lovin yer guts,

your non farm ownin almost givin up blogger friend!


...and maybe, just maybe......I will do this super duper easy peasy mack and cheesy trifle!!  Cuz I love ya!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts