Under Costruction.....

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Just like life building (rebuilding) a blog is a journey.... please stick with us as we make this blog better. Thanks y'all!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Don't roll your eyes!!

OH Yes!


I am fully aware of what time I am posting this.......

but as I wait for the last bit of juice to drip from the elderberries (I don't know why I/we start projects like this as 10 pm, but we do...and thankfully my sweet hubs de-stemmed all those little berry gems....and has diligently watched the juicer!


and as I wait for my naturally fermented sourdough bread to cook...which I plan to stay up long enough to enjoy a bite! or two, most likely probably three slices of with elderberry jelly!

I had to run to the store at midnight because.... well...we ( and I mean Mr Mackdaddy forgot an assigned item that must be brought to church) So off I ran/trudged/meandered/crawled to the only store we have in town for a loaf of bread.....

I perused the isles, hunting down something sweet and sticky to eat because

1. all the bambinos are in bed...and I can eat it all by myself and not have another body's slobber on my fork.
2. I haven't had a treat since well.........I can't remember...oh wait..yes I can.....I had a frozen hot chocolate from DQ...but only half mind you! But still that was like four eons ago!
3. Mr Macdaddy likes when I bring the sweet things home......
4. Did I mention I was alone and could just look and touch and lick...ok I didn't do that....but I was tempted....

until I started reading the ingredients...and I was totally able to put down the chocolate chip cookies, the overloaded peanut butter cup ice cream, the creme filled puff pastries, and even cheese cake......

I know you think I have gone overboard....and you are not alone, Mr Macdaddy and the mckiddos are right there with you...except the mctwins...they eat about anything I out down in front of them!

Nut the more I read from Nourishing Traditions and Gut and Psychology Syndrome, the more I am convinced that I, my family and pretty much most of America has forgotten how to eat good food!!!  Now I am not going to get on my soapbox, that I always have on hand....I am learning to contain and control myself....

But I want to shout this new/centuries old information from the roof tops and get all my loved ones, friends, not so friendly and annoyed peeps.....eating like our ancestors!!  Like our pioneer fathers and MOTHERS that grew it, raised it, gathered it, cooked and baked it......

If I was thinking I would have brought a camera and taken a  picture of all the ingredients in these products...

STOP rolling your eyes...I am telling this to you for your own good!!

Or I could type out the list of items that half the time you can't even pronounce! But it is getting late...and I can't type and shove my mouth full of bread at the same time!  Yep...it is GGGOOOOOOOODDDD!!!!

With a big ole slab of butter and jelly!

What I am trying to say is.....know what you are eating, these gimmicks about low fat, no cholesterol, low carb...blah, blah, blah.... are killing us!  Not the natural way of eating that has been done for thousands of years, eating meat and animal fats and limiting our intake of hydrogenated products, vegetable oils, sugars and high fructose corn syrup....(these are what I have concentrated on getting out of our diet along with msg and nitrates)

I know you are thinking blah, blah, blah.....they will come up with a another diet next year contradicting this diet....but here is what convinced me.....this isn't a new diet, peeps throughout time have been eating this way and some of them were living 600, or 900 years.....(That is bible trivia since I am now writing on the Sabbath....)

And not, I don't want to live to be almost a thousand years old...but I want to hit a hundred...maybe more....

SO I implore you that why I down my second slice of naturally fermented sour dough with butter and jelly!!  Go check out how to make sour dough bread.....Mr Macdaddy is the bomb at making biscuits...that's him up above with his baby face..which I adore as much as his taliban face ( I will post pictures later! but to make a long story short he had to blend into in with the culture!! as well as his ruggedly handsome goatee..that stills gets mine!) but boy can I make the bread, and donuts and even cinnamon rolls from sour dough...which believe it or not...are you ready...is healthier for you!!  Now go forth, my young one.....learn knowledge.....and if you have questions you can email me...I will get you hooked!!

1 cup starter + 3\4 cup water + 1 cup flour...
Let ferment for 2 to 4 hours (at least)

Then add the following to the mixing bowl:
2 cups whole wheat and rye blend (1-1/2 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup rye flour)
3 cups  flour
2 tablespoons raw honey
2 teaspoons salt
  This is about 1-1/3 cups of water

Mix this stiff dough together until it is well moistened. Add a little more water if you have too, but not too much. Cover with a clean cloth and let ferment for 6-8 hours at 72 - 85 degrees F.

When ready it should plop right out of the bowl. Use only a small amount of flour (about 2 ounces) and knead the dough for about five minutes. Rest it for ten minutes and repeat one more time... (kneed 5 min., rest 10 min.)

Now cut the dough into two lumps, shape them into tight balls and place them in proofing baskets lined with linen cloth. Let proof (rise) for 2-4 hours depending on how active your leaven is.

Transfer to baking stone in preheated oven. Bake at 500 degrees. Be sure to steam your oven during the first 10 minutes, then once again about halfway through the process. Be sure to reduce the heat to about 400 degrees during the last 15 minutes and finish baking. It should be done in about 35 minutes all together.

Best of luck....You'll love it .. it's much much easier this way!!  Let me know what happens.


Another way of baking:


Use a non-stick baking sheet or (2) 8" or 6" cast iron skillets for baking the loaves. Do not use aluminum! And do not use regular cooking oil on the pans. Heated oil is disastrous to your health. (The only exception I would recommend is in using organic coconut oil. It is better in high heat applications.) We also found that simply sprinkling a layer of rolled oats on the pan keeps the dough from sticking. Let the dough rise for 2 -4 hours and bake at 375 degrees for at least one hour. To make a thin crust, squirt or mist the oven. The bread is done when you can smell it and the dough looks like it has pulled slightly away from the pan. After the baking is complete, remove from pans and let them cool completely.


Um..... it is rare when and if my bread ever cools completely before we are cutting into it.


To find out more about sour dough,
Naturally Fermented Sour Dough Bread

and to also add to your reading enjoyment...http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35237328/ns/health-heart_health/

Love your guts!  Really I do!
signed, full and happy and going to bed!! well maybe....I might need another slice!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts