Under Costruction.....

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Just like life building (rebuilding) a blog is a journey.... please stick with us as we make this blog better. Thanks y'all!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Reasons for Lasagna in the Morning.....

Yesterday was a day that was busy...but not much got done....two of my 10 reasons......you can't argue with these....

You know those days?  No..you are always productive...your knitting leprosy bandages as we speak....

Well at least there is one of us...

As for me.....I got dinner ready at ten in the morning.....because well.....I knew it was going to be one of those days....it was....my bread rose....and then fell...because I took to long at VT.....still edible, just not pretty.

.....but even after that dinner was a success..........My mackdaddy loved it....that is ALWAYS a good thing.


The old saying if momma aint happy......well in our house....

If daddy aint fed right........jk...my lover...who does read this.....

I made Chicken Veggie Lasagna....I have heard it called white lasagna and tuscan lasagna.....any way you call it.....just get into my belly....

Can you name that movie...there will be a prize at the end if you can....HA....


Here is the recipe as I made it, but I am sure there are many good ones out there......but you know this one was a keeper if the kids ate it...and it had mushrooms and spinach in it!!!!


9 to 12 lasagna noodles
1 c. cooked chicken, chopped (you can use more chicken, but I wanted to concentrate on the veggies)
2 c. water (you can use chicken broth, but again I was avoiding the sodium)
2 c. milk (I used powdered milk)
1/2 c. flour
2 c. (16 oz.) Mozzarella cheese or whatever cheese you have on hand
1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 c. (16 oz.) cottage cheese
1 (10 oz.) pkg. chopped spinach, thawed and drained and excess water squeezed out
1 (10 oz) can of mushrooms
1 med. onion, chopped (approximately 1/2 c.)
2 cloves garlic,or garlic powder
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
 
Cook noodles...the best way I have found.  Bring water to a boil, put noodles in, bring back to a boil, boil 3 minutes, turn off stove, cover pot and let set for ten minutes.  Perfect pasta! 
 
Using left over chicken for this recipe would be perfect, or open a can or if you are like me, grab a couple of tenderloin pieces and boil in a small amount of water.  Pull out, cool and then dice.  Smaller is better...it goes further.
 
Melt butter in saucepan, add flour, garlic, salt. Smells wonderful! If you are using your food storage powdered milk, stir the powder into the flour and then into the butter, then pour in the water when it call for milk. It will make the white sauce a little thick, but it will come out just fine once the water is added. 
 
Cook, stirring constantly until bubbly. Remove from heat. Add milk and Water/chicken broth a little at a time, beating to a smooth consistency each time. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. 
 
Add onion, basil, oregano, pepper, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese,  cheese, chicken and mushrooms, stirring until cheese melts. Use 9x13 inch rectangular pan.
 
In ungreased 9x13x2 inch rectangular pan, pour in a thin layer of sauce, I strained out all the veggies and chicken and put it back in the sauce. Layer 3 or 4 lasagna noodles, overlapping if necessary. Spread 1 cup of cottage cheese over noodles, 1/4 of cheese sauce, 3 or 4 noodles, 1 cup cottage cheese, chopped spinach,  Layer 3 or 4 noodles,1/2 of the remaining cheese sauce, slayer generously with cheese. (Com'on this is lasagna...don't be stingy with the cheese!) 3 or 4 more noodles, remaining sauce, sprinkle with parmesan.

I let this set for a good 7 hours before I cooked it (I think that is the trick to a good lasagna!) I cooked for an hour and a half at 325...which was perfect...I was gone.  But I think most people would cook it at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes, then take out of oven, layer generously with mozzarella....I had the real nice gooey stuff today...so all was right with the world!  But any cheese would be good too!  Put back in oven until top melts!!

I have to say, this lasagna was almost better then the "regular" lasagna.....it just melted in your mouth!!!

Let me know how you like it!

Mackdaddy said it was a keeper.....so you know it was good...in his eyes....
 
...and it was a good thing I had such a yummy dinner to hold me through the night......we (I...mackdaddy was awake but laying there listening and rooting me on to my motherly duties, while he laid cozily in our blankets) were up with one of the twins about every hour....fun times...I hate teething!  I was ready to pop some leftovers in the microwave last night...but only one eye it would focus...I just went back to bed....
it might work for breakfast though....

Love yer guts all you!  
 
Thank you for you comments, your emails, posts and calls......thank you for being such wonderful examples of superheros!
 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts