Under Costruction.....

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Just like life building (rebuilding) a blog is a journey.... please stick with us as we make this blog better. Thanks y'all!

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ole the Mole'!

While we are the subject of around the world flavors...that are healthy for us!!  I thought I would post a quick and oh so easy Mole sauce......no not as in the ground borrowing animal...but as in the south of the border, spicy with a hint of chocolate.....and by the way, that hint of chocolate will go far in your chili or pork burritos...but alas I forget where I am going with this...

truly, the art of Mole' sauce is an age old tradition, passed from grandmothers on down.....women toiling all day over a stove, a pinch of that and bit of this...

but lets be honest, none of us have all day in the kitchen to prepare for mouth watering artistry, let alone the patience...

okay, that one is probably just me!  But anyone can whip up this simple mole, with one arm tied behind your back or holding a baby...or wiping a nose.....you get the picture?!

YOU can do this!  Pour this over tamales, which is what we did last night, (and no..I didn't make the tamales, a friend did, but one day I will learn, until then...I have been known to buy them in the grocery store parking lot! Yep...I'm not afraid!!) add it to your homemade chimichangas.....which are really easy to make.....burritos, juevos rancheros!  It works!! Even pour it on those frozen bricks, they call food...I promise I won't tell anyone!  But eventually you'll realize that cooking from scratch is just as easy and far superior then opening that plastic wrapper.....

unless of course you have 1 million hungry teenage hole in the stomach horde drop in...then by all means break out the microwave...becasue heaven know that still happens at my house!  We are slowly working the good and REAL food in!


SIMPLE MOLE SAUCE
2 Tbs butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp cumin (my favorite spice by far!)
1 tsp cilantro...dried works perfectly well!
1/2 tsp minced garlic...I get this from a jar!
2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
1 4 oz can of chopped green chilis

Saute onions in butter, until caramelized ( think caramelized onions are the answer to world peace...or at least calming the warring nations of men!) Mix in cocoa powder, cumin, cilantro and garlic, stir in tomato sauce and green chilis, bring to a boil, turn down immediately and let simmer a good ten minutes, 20 is better and 30 is the bomb!  But hey I know what happens when fists are being pounded on the table!!

Love your mole eatin guts!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts